Thursday, March 9, 2017

GIS Lab 3

GIS Lab 3

Goal and Background:
        The goal of this lab was to familiarize ourselves with using standalone table data to map and analyze for GIS projects. More specifically to be able transform standalone tables into attribute tables with other data to be able to map the data together. Another goal was to be able to us the U.S. Census Bureau to get data and use that data for out GIS maps, and also to be able to familiarize ourselves with creating static and dynamic/web maps.

Methods:
        To begin, I downloaded the data from the U.S, Census Bureau of the total population of all Wisconsin counties from 2010 from the data set 2010 SFI 100% data unzipped it and saved it into my personal Lab 3 folder. I then went into the excel spreadsheet provided in the data (DEC_10_SFI_P1_with_ann.csv) and changed the last column title to Pop_2010, formatted the number cells to 0 for all the data in that column, then saved the file to Excel Workbook. I then went back online to the U.S. Census page and downloaded the map shape file for Wisconsin and unzipped and saved it in my personal Lab 3 folder as well. From there I opened up a new ArcMap and added the excel file and shape file I had downloaded. I then joined the excel file to the shape file of Wisconsin through GEO_ID and GE0#id then exported that to a new shape file. Then I removed the other data besides the new shape file from the Table of Contents. To make the map into what is shown in Figure 1, I went into symbology tab in the properties of the new shape file and changed the quantities (graduated colors) to make the counties different colors for the density of the populations. To finish it I made the map topographically pleasing by adding a title, north face, legend, and others.
       Next, I did the same exact thing as I described above except I used a different variable this time I used the Housing Units 2010 SFI 100% data from all the counties in Wisconsin from the U.S. census bureau online. After following those exact same steps I ended up with two static maps looking similar, but with different variables.
      After that, I created a dynamic/web map from the Housing Unit static map I previously created. I signed into ArcGIS online through the UWEC Geography and Anthropology Organization account. Then I was able to share my map online. I changed it's service name, changed the map to feature access, filled out an item description for the map, analyzed the map for any errors, and shared it with the account I created through UWEC in ArcGIS online. Then I went to the my content section of ArcGIS online added the layer I made into a new map. To finish it up I configured pop-ups for the counties so that when you click on a county on the map the name and data only for that county would show up. My map was finished, so I added again a final item description and shared the final map with the same Geography and Anthropology account.

Results: Figure 1 represents the data of housing units in all Wisconsin counties in 2010 I obtained from the U.S. Census Bureau that I joined with a shape file of the state of Wisconsin and made into a static map. Figure 2 represents the data of population density in all Wisconsin counties in 2010 that I also obtained from the U.S. Census Bureau and joined with a shape file of Wisconsin and made into a static map. Figure 3 represents the dynamic/web map I made from ArcGIS online from the static map of housing units static map I made prier.

Figure 1: Static map of the density of housing units in Wisconsin counties in 2010 

Figure 2: Static map of the population density of Wisconsin counties in 2010

Figure 3: Dynamic/web map of the housing units in Wisconsin counties in 2010
Sources: United States Census Bureau american fact finder 2010 database [March 8th, 2017]
ArcGIS Online Esri 

No comments:

Post a Comment